By Józef Łopuszyński
Visitors to St Matthew’s Parish Church, Walsall recently, were given a rare opportunity to be visit the crypt of the church which dates back to 1120 AD to when the site was Roman Catholic.
A particular feature of the 900-year-old crypt is a supposedly interior window which is in fact an exterior window of the original before an extension was added.
There is also a space in the crypt wall with two holes at the side which tour guide John Pryce-Jones suggested “may have been where they kept the Sacrament”
Amongst the visitors was octogenarian and former chorister William Gordon Platt whose father William Henry Platt and uncle Victor Platt are remembered by plaques in the choir. He came with good friends because he was “proud to show them what a beautiful place it is.”
Also available to visitors was an opportunity to see the interior workings of the clock, and an opportunity to ring one of the church bells.